Friday, October 1, 2010

Progress

With times changes rapidly I got to thinking about the things that will soon be non existent, already our letter writing is practically non existant, proper thank you letters and written rsvp's will be a thing of the past.  Imagine our children when they are our age, they will be sending a text message "tx 4 wedding invite luv 2 cum b there with bells on lmao lol xoxo" there will be no handwritten card by them! No keepsakes. 

I was also thinking about grandparents, the traditional nana will be extinct, take my nana for example, my mum worked so my nana looked after us, there was no day care in those days and we were packed off to nan's for a fun filled day.  She would dance around the lounge room with us, create a colour-in competition that actually had no winner, the prize of a mars bar was always cut in half, announcing that myself and my brother's drawings were so good we were both winners.  Nana would bake for us and I mean from scratch not from a cardboard box, who remembers the gorgeous butterfly cakes, vanilla sponge with icing and jam, almond and coconut cherry tarts, apple pie with home made pastry Mmmmmm

Don't get me wrong I love how we have progressed, my husband always says "I am woman here me roar" what can I say, I have an opinion and I am not afraid to voice it.......  The nana's of today will more than likely continue working until 60, perhaps cut back to part time and be out enjoying lunches with their  girlfriends.  I think the difference is that back in my nana's day the 60 year old nana was in fact old, but now 60 is not old at all, its a time for nana's to embrace life, travel, do lunch, look after their grand kids, in fact they can multi task and do whatever the hell they like, because they can.

So perhaps progress is a good thing, maybe we just need to teach our kids how to write a letter, the correct way to RSVP and more importantly how to bake, as I reach for the cardboard box of muffins I am LMAO xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment