Friday, August 20, 2010

Never go mud crabbing in white pants

Just a little tip for all you ladies out there, white pants and mud crabbing do not go together.  We were on holiday in Exmouth and not being an outdoorsey kind of gal, had never been mud crabbing.  I was picturing champagne and water so I thought hey, if I get bored I'll just sit in the sun, dangle my feet and drink.  I should have known something was amiss when my friend sniggered at my suggestion.

Off we headed, picnic, dingy and champagne in tow.  We arrived at the spot and I realised that there was no bright blue water but dirty swampland, anyway my spirits were high and we jumped into the dingy and off we went.  1st stop near the mangroves, we all had our booties on except my husband who wore his thongs!!, he was first out of the boat, followed by myself in my rolled up white pants.  My husband tried to walk but his thong was stuck in the mud, after a little tug up it plopped followed by copious amounts of mud that landed all over my white pants grrrrr.  He ended up removing his thongs and squelched through the mud in barefeet, eeeewwww.


I quickly realised that squelshing through mud on a 37 degree day with no shade was not my idea of fun, and then when the toilet was shown to me ....

Thats it I'm Out!
 We headed back to the shade of the trees totally crabless for a yummy prawn roll with a nice glass of bubbly.  The girls decided to stay behind whilst the boys trapsed off again.  We sat under the trees and were swarmed by midgies, after about 40 minutes of constant swatting and 1 spray can later of bushmans we left the shade and set up camp on two deck chairs with the beach umbrella for shade in the water.  It was actually very peaceful watching an eagle fly overhead and the sun starting to set, the water lapping at our legs.  The boys came back with dinner 6 very large mud crabs.
Were they yummy, YES, was it worth it, NO! 

After my well needed shower later that night, my midgie bites were rampant, my whole left arm was covered and the itch OMG!  So I reiterate for all you city folk out there don't go mud crabbing in white pants, believe me they were never quite the same.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think I'll be going mudcrabbing EVER, regardless of white pants!

    At least you looked like you enjoyed the rest of your time up north....

    I hope they weren't hubby's BEST thongs either!

    Cheers,

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete