Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Knees and Facsinators

The Melbourne Cup - Its full of fun, frivolity, fabulous facsinators, fashion, food and faux pars.

Fashion on the field is an event itself, it is so fascinating whether you are sitting in a restaurant fashion spotting or actually at the races, there is a never ending parade of fillies.

Which brings me to my next point - at what age is the mid length thigh dress no longer appropriate?  At a certain age its time to hide the knees.  We spend so much time, money and effort creaming up our faces, necks and eyes, why were we not told that the first things to go are the elbows and knees!  I wish I was told 20 years ago to concentrate some of that expensive cream on the knees and elbows, i probably would have laughed at 20 and ignored the advice but at least I would have been warned. 

Facinators were en mass yesterday - I donned a black alice band facinator with feathers and ribbons and received a thumbs up from a lady whilst driving to work. The hat was back with a vengance this year and the fascinator was stated to be OUT this year but it was very popular and less than half the price of a decent hat.

It seems that Cup day is a day for the ladies to dress up, one of the only days in Perth that it is OK to go all out and nothing is over the top.  I have been to a few Cup lunches over the year's and I am still amazed that whilst they always have a fashion show at all the events I have been to, these young girls/models constantly seem to overtly play up to the old pervy men, that wip their cameras out of their pockets and have the girls sitting on their knees taking photo's.  Why these young girls would want their photo taken with these leaches is beyond me.  I am all for gorgeous girls strutting their stuff like "models" but each year the "models" act like they should be hanging off a pole.  I can guarantee that no woman would actually buy one item of clothing that those girls modelled as I am sure all the women in that restaraunt were rolling their eyes at the girls.  I just don't get it and I probably never will!!!

Anyway it is a horse race that stops the nation, whether you win or lose it is a very fun filled day and it doesn't matter if you back the favourite or the roughie, it is always so unpredictible and it makes for a very entertaining day.  Here's looking forward to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment