Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The 14 Year Old Boy

The frustration of a 14 year old boy!  Not their frustration the parents frustration!  The grunts, the groans, the eye rolling, the shoulder shrugging, the "alright" with a sound t on the end, the disgusting hair, the same clothes, the disinterest in anything suggested by a parent.

I cannot wait until my son who by the way was such a cool and fussy dresser when he was younger stops wearing sports shorts, if I never see a sports short again I will be a happy woman.  They get washed, only when I drag them off his bedroom floor and he sneaks outside and pulls them off the line and puts them back on, unfortunately they have been designed to dry in a milli second.  I even caught him with the clothes dryer on with 2 socks inside, what the hell I said, you have millions of other socks but to which he replied "what the hell mum, they are my favourite socks" and got the big sigh when I turned the dryer off and hung them on the line!

I feel like the neighbourhood taxi, dropping off, picking up, dropping other kids off, going back to get my son's bag that he conveniently forgot.  Then you actually have a little turn in the car with his friends suggesting that they are starting to "take the piss and you are over running them here there and everywhere" they all look a bit mortified and start with the "sorry" and they make you feel like a bitch of a mother and guilty for losing the plot.  Then you get home, they eat your fridge bare, drink your drinks and stink up your bedrooms and you wonder why you felt guilty even for a moment.  You occassionally get a rare glimpse of the man they are about to become when they realise you have been pushed too far and they start following you around to the point when you stop and say "what is it that you want" and they say "nothing, just thanks mum, I do appreciate you and I love you" followed by a big hug and you just melt and realise that they are still the little boy you always loved.

Then they wake up the next morning, back to feral mode....and you proceed to leave them notes reminding them to "clean up their room, adjust the attitude and appreciate life" and you realise you are really fighting a loosing battle but I have been told time and time again that it does get better.  So all I can say is roll on 15!

I don't have pleasure of having a girl but I remember from my own dirty looks and eye rolling that I gave my parents, I assume that girls are just as bad?  At least girls wash their hair!!!

2 comments:

  1. Girls May wash their hair but they always have attitude. When a boy gets the girl that he has been chasing, he starts to look after himself,then It starts costing a fortune and you have more hair and body products than you know what to do with. It does get better, like I said at about 17. Hang in there. Lots of Love Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to take your word for it Megan! x

    ReplyDelete