Friday, January 21, 2011

Lockdown in the Suburbs

Before you decide on how best to punish your children, you need to stop and think,  how will this affect me.  By this I mean once you have grounded your beloved child, you need to think of the consequences.  My darling son is in lockdown after stupidly sending a text message to me instead of someone else.  Yes you did read correctly, he was BUSTED!  It was beautiful actually no better way to get caught, yes we can all laugh about it together but the lockdown still stands.

The first thing was no outside contact, he could not take calls nor go on facebook or msn.  This he could handle.  Then we informed him no computer nor play station, this he could not handle.  Well we did manage this for a day, but honestly he has driven me crazy.  His punishment has ended up feeling like I am also being punished as putting up with this winging child has had me tearing my hair out.  After day 2 I did succumb and allow him limited time on his computer game and playstation as I could no longer stand the long face and he was allowed to take phone calls from his friends.

During this lockdown he has not left me alone, he follows me everywhere, stating "what can I do mum", I told him calmly to clean his room, sort his wardrobe out, read a book, play a game, draw, empty the dishwasher, watch a movie, hang out the washing, bring in the washing, do the ironing.  He followed by "there's nothing to do, why can't I just go on my game, I don't understand, its so boring" blah blah blah all friggin day!!

As much as I have complained I have actually enjoyed my time with my son, he has been much more communicative, he has played me in numerous games of Uno and lost and has had to cook dinner, Taco's!  He has started drawing again, he is actually very good.  He has helped around the house, and was forced to watch Sex in the City 2 as he had nothing better to do and announced that it was the worst movie he has ever seen and if he had to watch it again he would rather poke his eyes out with a pair of scissors!!

He just called me and asked what are we doing tonight, and I replied oh I don't know maybe we will have a huge big party and party all night, he said I can't invite anyone over.  I replied with a grin, "well you can just party with your parents, don't you like the sound of that party with your parents".  He replied in a monotone voice, "that sounds Horrid!"  Horrid what an unusual word for one so young, he must stop reading those Enid Blyton books hee hee. 

So before your ground your children, seriously think of how it will affect your time in the house!  Lockdown is not always a good thing but it may make him seriously consider saying NO next time ......... or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment